Local news from a Las Vegas local: Get the scoop on the best things to do in Las Vegas today from none other than a Las Vegas local!
Is September a good time to go to Las Vegas?
September is a great time to visit Las Vegas! It’s the first break from the scorching desert sun for us locals. (Anything below 110 degrees, I started calling sweater weather!)
With temperatures dropping from this summer’s triple digits above 110 degrees, now down to the mid-nineties, it’ll still feel hot for tourists and visitors new to the city. Just not scorching hot!
Travel prices have also fallen with the temps, making flights to Las Vegas less expensive in September.
Are Vegas pools open in the fall?
Vegas is unlike many other vacation destinations in the US, where pool season begins on Memorial Day and ends on Labor Day. Lucky for you, Las Vegas pool season begins in March and ends around October. So September is a wonderful time to visit, enjoy a day club, and still swim!
Entertainment news in Las Vegas: What’s new?
Jimmy Kimmel’s Comedy Club Las Vegas
The Writers’ Guild Of America strike is over, and writers return to late-night shows and TV. This includes special venues like Jimmy Kimmel’s Comedy Club Las Vegas on The Strip in LINQ Promenade.
Head to The Strip to be the first to hear Kimmel’s comedy come back to the stage! Kimmel’s writing team is performing special live standup performances starting September 30th.
Zoo Station: U2 UV Experience in Vegas
This one is for the band’s fans! Interact with U2 as only you can in The Entertainment Capital of the World – viva Las Vegas! Part of U2’s Las Vegas Sphere residency is the U2 UV Experience, the ultimate fan experience and a place for fans to engage with the band’s rich music history. Interact in a legit German Trabant car and choose your favorite U2 tune from the car’s radio station, a vehicle U2 embraced when recording the Auchtung Baby album in 1981.
Then head on to the U2 Pop Up Shop to discover fan-favorite songs, official merchandise, limited edition items never sold anywhere else, special Sphere merchandise, and a photo gallery. Fun fact – the lettering for the U2 Pop Up Shop is inspired by the lettering from the band’s Pop album. It’s a U2 DNA experience curated by the band members themselves with little nuance details their massive fans will point out and appreciate!
VIP concert packages are also sold here at the Pop Up Shop – the only way to get tickets for the U2 Sphere residency sold-out online.
The U2 Pop Up Shop is open Tue-Sun, 11am-9pm.
Fans can buy tickets for the Zoo Station: U2 UV Experience HERE.
What is the new attraction in Vegas? The Sphere
Sphere Las Vegas (formerly MSG Sphere) – The world’s largest spherical structure!
The Sphere is officially open! Another Las Vegas attraction unveiled itself on Friday, September 29, 2023, offering us an out-of-this-world music and entertainment experience. The Venetian Resort’s highly anticipated massive Sphere arena opened its doors to an inaugural performance by the legendary band U2.
It was a star-studded night in Las Vegas, marking a new era in entertainment as celebrities flocked to the Sphere’s opening red carpet. A-listers including LeBron James, Oprah Winfrey, Ava DuVernay, Paul McCartney, Jane Seymour, Mario Lopez, and Flava Flav showed up in Vegas to see this new mega attraction that sold out its first concert, occupying its nearly 18,000 seats!
Fans described the build-up for this one-of-a-kind and the only one-in-the-world concert experience as a child-like exhilaration with the need to try and slow down an excited and fast-paced heart rate! Noting that “Vegas does it again!” And Las Vegas is a town that “Never ceases to amaze!”
Las Vegas embraces technology, continually finding innovative ways to grow and expand. Constantly re-setting the bar of what humans can do. The Sphere, receiving big praises during its opening weekend, is described as being inside a giant TV screen!
“We do everything. We have the sports, the greatest entertainers, and residency, and now this!” —Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman
Are you headed to U2’s concert residency at the Sphere?
Here’s what you should know before you go:
What’s the best way to get to the Sphere?
- Car – parking in Sphere parking lot
- Rideshare (Uber or Lyft) – drop off at Cobalt and Sands Ave.
- Monorail – $6 one-way
- Your own two feet – about a 20 minute walk from The Venetian on The Strip or from Harrah’s, the best Monorail drop-off spot.
How much is parking at the Sphere Las Vegas?
Sphere parking prices:
- The Sphere’s website offers an opening weekend self-parking discount – $70 at the Howard Center Parking Lot
- After opening weekend – Ticketmaster to purchase Sphere event parking – $40-$100, valet parking $125
- Park at nearby hotels: The Venetian – $15-$23 (locals get the first 3 hours free), Hotels Wynn and Encore – $20 for the day after the first 4 hours free
Inside the Sphere:
- The Sphere is a no-bag facility – only small and clear bags are allowed
- The Sphere is a no cash venue – only credit and debit are accepted
- See what’s inside The Sphere Experience! Purchase tickets for Sphere tours Las Vegas HERE.
September means Las Vegas Raiders football season tickets 2023
Raiders Nation – Just win baby!
September kicks off football season – and Las Vegas has its own pro-football team with the league’s newest arena (of course, it’s Vegas, baby!). Allegiant Stadium is located across from Mandalay Bay Resort adjacent to The Strip.
If you’re in town, you won’t even need a car to catch a game!
Pro tip: Allegiant Stadium offers first-class VIP tours of its 2 billion dollar state-of-the-art stadium. A must-see if you ask me, whether you’re a Vegas local or a tourist. When booking your tour, less is less, so I recommend not skimping and booking the “Drink And A View” package.
- Check out the Raiders 2023-2024 football schedule HERE.
- Buy Raiders tickets HERE.
- Get tickets & info about Allegiant Stadium tours HERE.
Legendary youth e-sports gaming comes to Las Vegas
What e-sports team is based in Las Vegas?
Think you’re ready to play for the Vegas Legion (formerly the Paris Legion), Vegas’ very own American professional Call of Duty League (CDL) e-sports team?
Former NFL Raider Brandon Parker will help you get your skills up as he ushers in a whole new level of e-sports and gaming in Las Vegas!
From football to Fortnite, Parker brings e-sports training hubs to Las Vegas, with over 40 PCs set up for gamers to train and play individually or as a squad. This training center takes serious players to the next level with training coaches and camps for readiness to enter into the 2-billion e-sports gaming industry. Reassess your skills and train up HERE at Valhallan eSports Training!
Have the Las Vegas Aces been to the finals?
WNBA Champion team Las Vegas Aces return to the finals for their 3rd time in 4 years, working on back-to-back titles – Go Aces!
“The Aces need just 1 more win in the best-of-five Semifinals series to advance to their 3rd WNBA Finals in 4 seasons…” —WNBA.com
Bonus to the upcoming Las Vegas Aces game: Grammy Award-nominated, multiplatinum rap superstar Rick Ross is performing at halftime of Game 1 of the WNBA Semifinals between home team Las Vegas Aces and the Dallas Wings, Sunday, September 24th.
If you’re like me, a huge Ricky Rosé (Rick Ross) fan, this is the perfect opportunity to see the genius lyricist perform without the wall-to-wall crowds and smoke plumes in the air – IYKYK!
When in town, grab Aces tickets. The team’s arena is right on The Strip!
Note: Aces’ playoff and finals game tickets will sell out!
September 2023 Las Vegas entertainment news FAQs
- Who is singing Super Bowl 2024? “It’s seven o’clock on the dot.“ Where’s Usher, baby? Probably in his drop top cruising the streets – and on his way to Allegiant Stadium! Usher will end his Las Vegas residency in December 2023 and is officially announced as headlining Super Bowl 2024’s halftime performance in Las Vegas! In the words of Usher and Lil’ Jon, can you say, “Yeah!”
- Does Katy Perry have a residency in Las Vegas? Katy Perry’s standout performances at The Theatre at Resorts World Las Vegas say goodbye in November 2023 after a 2-year residency. Still haven’t seen her jaw-dropping Play residency yet? Grab tickets HERE before she’s gone!
- Kelly Clarkson surprises Las Vegas street performer – USA Today reported. “While singing on the Las Vegas Strip, a woman received some cash in her tip bucket from an unexpected star. When the performer asked the tipper to sing, she was stunned by her vocals sooner than she realized it was Kelly Clarkson. The Grammy-winning singer shared the interaction on her Instagram page.” I’m proud to say that as a Las Vegas local and frequent visitor to The Strip, I know this lady that Kelly described as “She gives the best hugs and sings her tail off!” This woman has brought our Vegas Strip strolls to a complete halt as she belts out Gladys Knight tunes. “Grandma” is what she affectionately calls herself, accompanied by her duet partner, Johnny Motown. Both are our favorite only-in-Vegas street performers that we stop to enjoy their impromptu shows on a regular! And I concur, she gives the best hugs and loves to laugh out loud, too!
- Who will perform at the iHeartRadio Music Festival 2023? The official lineup revealed HERE includes music’s best: Foo Fighters, Fall Out Boy, Kelly Clarkson, Kane Brown, Lil Wayne, Lenny Kravitz, Miguel, Public Enemy, Sheryl Crow, Tim McGraw, Thirty Seconds to Mars, and more taking over the stage at the T-Mobile Arena Las Vegas, September 21-22.
- Who is playing at the Life is Beautiful Festival 2023? – The official lineup for the 2023 music and art fest is HERE, with performances in Downtown Las Vegas by Kendrick Lamar, Nelly, Khalid, The Killers, Bebe Rexha, and more, September 22-24.
- CloudWorld Convention, anyone? September’s Las Vegas business and convention calendar is HERE.
- What happens at Drais after hours? Drai’s Beachclub and Nightclub at The Cromwell uses local DJ talent, however, on most weekends you can experience big-name hip-hop performances! With September performances by 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne. View Drai’s upcoming performers HERE.
Las Vegas restaurant news now – September 2023
- Is dining in the dark a real thing? BLACKOUT Dining in the Dark – off The Strip – 3871 S Valley View Blvd, Las Vegas
- Superfrico Las Vegas – inside The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Candy Martini Bar – inside I Love Sugar at LINQ Promenade
- Esther’s Kitchen – in Downtown Las Vegas
- Pizza Rock – in Downtown Las Vegas
- The Raider Claw – is a unique food truck serving up Cajun seafood with a bang! Imagine if you can… fried crab clusters, crab claw baskets, fried lobster tails, or their best-seller Raider loaded fries topped with mounds of sweet, decadent crab or lobster meat, shredded cheese, and a flavorful secret sauce! All made by a 5-star chef, of course. But wait, there’s more! For your preference in spice level, a flavored butter of choice. Cajun butter, lemon pepper butter, or Cajun ranch butter – said to be the hidden gem of the spice toppings! Catch The Raider Claw food truck parked at Centennial Hills Hospital Monday-Saturday 4:30-8:30 pm.
What restaurants in Las Vegas have celebrity sightings?
- The Bedford by Martha Stewart – inside Paris Las Vegas
- Vanderpump à Paris – inside Paris Las Vegas
- Nobu Restaurant Las Vegas – inside Caesars Palace
- Yardbird – inside The Venetian Las Vegas (The place where I’ve had a celebrity sighting!)
- The Mayfair Supper Club – inside Bellagio Hotel & Casino
- StripSteak – inside Mandalay Bay Beach Las Vegas
- Catch – inside Aria Resort & Casino
- LIFTOFF Skyline Experience + Outdoor Lounge – on the campus of Area15
Las Vegas hotel news – September 2023
What is the Nevada record for gaming revenue?
The record is $1.4 billion as Las Vegas enters its 30th straight month of consecutive gaming revenues that generated at least a billion dollars in gaming wins. The Las Vegas Strip alone raked in over half of the earnings this time at about $660 million – Go Vegas!
Will Fontainebleau ever open?
Fountainbleau Las Vegas announces its December 13, 2023 opening, in time for Super Bowl 2024! Adjacent to the Las Vegas Convention Center, construction resumed in November 2021, yielding a massive 173,000 square feet casino with 3,644 hotel rooms – Wowza! Fountainbleau will be the newest hotel near the Las Vegas Strip since Resorts World arrived in 2020.
Will Fontainebleau be the largest Las Vegas hotel?
Even though it’s been a 16-year saga to build this newest Vegas hotel & casino, Fountainbleau will rank only at number 9 for The Las Vegas Strip’s largest hotel.
- The Venetian still holds the number 3 spot with 4,029 rooms.
- The Luxor is the runner-up with additional towers to its iconic pyramid that grants them 4,400 rooms.
- This leaves MGM Grand in first place as the largest Las Vegas hotel with an astounding 4,997 guest rooms!
September 2023 Las Vegas travel ideas
What tours to take from Vegas?
Las Vegas trending travel tours:
- Las Vegas nightlife tour
- Grand Canyon tours
- Hoover Dam tours
- Antelope Canyon tours
- Downtown Las Vegas walking tours
- Valley of Fire tours
- Zion & Bryce Canyon tour
- Death Valley tours
What’s happening in Las Vegas right now? – September 2023
The 1996 murder of rap icon Tupac Shakur may finally be an over 25-year murder mystery solved! On September 29th, a man was arrested and charged with Tupac’s murder. A more than fitting way to end this month that celebrates 50 years of hip-hop!
Folks visiting Las Vegas can pay homage to Tupac on Las Vegas Boulevard (the street on which he was gunned down) with a visit to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum for a picture with the closet life-like image that remains of the hip-hop king – other than his music that lives on forever.
MGM cyber attack
Identity theft on a grand scale is how I’d describe the MGM Las Vegas cyber attack.
The weekend before September 11th, MGM casino screens became inoperable with a sad emoji face referencing a cybersecurity issue. All casino slots were not functional, some guests could not gain access to their rooms, and casino cashiers had to offer payouts in counted-out cash, down to the penny!
It took about 10 days before MGM’s hotel system (from gaming to key card entry) became fully operable again, once MGM was attacked by a criminal hacker gang demanding ransom money. This cyber security breech was so serious that it almost led to the shutdown of MGM Resorts International, which operates a portfolio of 29 hotel and resort properties, including the iconic Bellagio and MGM Grand.
How did the MGM hack happen?
A criminal hacker gang of cybersecurity experts called Scattered Spider initiated the cyber attack.
Is MGM still under cyber attack?
Thankfully, MGM Resorts’ hotels and casinos are back up and running. So you can book your next vacay and stay without any glitches!
But still there’s still so much to this story left unanswered. Like, how much did MGM lose from the cyber attacks? Or did MGM pay the ransom?
Is Las Vegas still a good place to visit?
Make no mistake that the high-profile murder mystery of Tupac Shakur happened over 25 years ago. And the MGM cyber hack is, unfortunately, a new era of crime that we’ll have to protect ourselves from, no matter where in the world we live.
That said, Las Vegas is still and has long since been officially donned the world’s most popular tourist destination because of its unmatched natural beauty, bright lights, casinos, hotels, shows, attractions, and entertainment. And it’s simply one of the most enjoyable cities on Earth!
Vegas is the city that just has it all.
Did you enjoy this roundup of September 2023 Las Vegas news?
Have you been?
Ready to go?
Comment below and let me know.
You can also check out my post on what you can not miss on the Las Vegas Strip.