Local news from a Las Vegas local: Get the scoop on the best things to do in Las Vegas today from none other than a Las Vegas local!
Many picture Las Vegas as a sizzling summer hotspot. But December reveals a cooler, festive side of this desert city I call home and find equally enthralling!
Beyond the iconic casinos and shows, a Yuletide transformation takes hold, casting a spell of wonder that rivals any summertime adventure.
I’m drawn to the holiday lights as they dazzle The Strip, the crisp air giving a fresh perspective on the neon-lit nights. The blend of winter festivities mingled with the electric Vegas aura creates a holiday season ripe for discovery. Perfect for those eager to trade in snow for the desert’s cool winter embrace.
December is also the time to do what Las Vegas does best, and that’s throw the biggest party! Because let’s not forget one of the most fun nights to be here in Las Vegas is New Year’s Eve!
Vegas in December weather
Many travelers visit Las Vegas in December, trading snow for the desert sun. It’s a fact that our sub-tropical winters can make you quickly forget it’s December!
Las Vegas weather greets you with short, crisp days and chilly nights in December. The air is crisp in the morning, and the days are filled with the sun’s warm and bright beam.
The Strip’s neon lights are working their hardest this time of year, back to decorating the city by 4:30 pm when the West resumes night from its short stint as day.
Do you need a jacket in Las Vegas in December?
To adapt to this desert winter climate, you’ll want to bring along a warm, comfy jacket for when the nights dip below winter’s average daytime temps of high fifties to 60 degrees.
What should you wear in Vegas in early December?
As a Vegas local who loves the outdoors, I’ve learned the key is in layering. Start with a breathable base for our bright and sunny winter days. Then, you can add a cozy sweater, fleece, or weather-resistant outer shell for nights exploring the city. This approach lets you peel off layers from the breezy Strip to enter the buzzing warmth of the casinos and shows.
Is it worth going to Vegas in the winter?
December in Las Vegas transforms the city into a holiday spectacle with events and shows as glittering as The Strip itself! Visitors will find an array of festive happenings, from dazzling light displays to theatrical productions crafted for the Yuletide spirit.
Witness the magic as casinos don festive decor and partake in holiday-themed attractions that promise a blend of cheer and excitement. You’ll be immersed in Vegas’ joyful atmosphere, as the night desert chill is complemented by the warmth of Vegas hospitality. Las Vegas in December offers a unique celebration of the season, infusing the traditional with a touch of Vegas glamour that you won’t find anywhere else.
Is it pool weather in Las Vegas in December?
You might be wondering about pool options in Las Vegas during December’s cooler days. While many resorts in Las Vegas shut their pools in late October until spring, some keep their aquatic oases heated and inviting!
Dip your toes into the warm waters of heated pools and bubbling hot tubs at select hotels. These become serene winter retreats, often less crowded, allowing for a more relaxed experience.
Imagine lounging by a tranquil pool, steam rising into the crisp air, with a backdrop of the bustling city. A unique contrast only Vegas offers. For the resorts without winter pool access, consider exploring the city’s luxurious spas for an equally soothing dip.
Las Vegas pools open year round and in December
The list of hotels below keeps at least one pool on their property open and heated during the winter off-season.
- Mandalay Bay
- MGM Grand
- Park MGM
- The Venetian
- Resorts World
- The Cosmopolitan
- Stadium Swim at Circa Las Vegas – Downtown Las Vegas
- The Downtown Grand – Downtown Las Vegas
- Plaza – Downtown Las Vegas
Is it better to stay on the Strip or Downtown Las Vegas in December?
Center Strip hotel in December?
Yes, no, and maybe… The answer is all of the above because you can get the best of both worlds with Vegas’ newest and tallest luxury hotel opening its doors after 16 years of construction – Fountainbleu Las Vegas, located between Downtown Las Vegas and North Strip.
Fontainebleau Las Vegas opening
Las Vegas has a new jewel in its crown! The city’s newest luxury resort opened on December 13th with a star-studded celebrity grand opening. Over four thousand people came by private invitation on opening night. Thousands more flooded in as Fountainbleau Las Vegas opened its doors to the public at midnight.
After nearly 20 years of construction, here’s what the property brings to The Strip:
- Fontainebleau Las Vegas is a 25-acre desert oasis
- The tallest building (by occupied space) in Nevada
- The second tallest building (by occupied space) in Las Vegas
- At 737 feet high, one of the top 30 tallest hotels in the world
- An architectural wonder with over 3,600 rooms and suites
- 500 thousand square feet of convention space
- 150 thousand square feet of casino floor
- A symphony of culinary delights and restaurants new to Las Vegas
- Out of this world, luxury spa and fitness facilities – including a snowfall room!
Las Vegas Christmas events
- Bellagio Conservatory Winter Display
- The Las Vegas Great Santa Run
- The Ethel M Chocolate Factory 30th Annual Holiday Botanical Cactus Garden
- Magical Forest at Opportunity Village
- Merry Motown – Alexis Park Resort
- Glittering Lights at Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- The Ice Rink at The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas
- The Rock Rink at Downtown Summerlin
- Christmas Parade at Downtown Summerlin
- Rouge Wonderland at Red Rock Casino, Resort, & Spa Resort in Downtown Summerlin
- Enchant Christmas Light Maze & Village
- Mystic Falls Holiday Display at Sam’s Town Hotel
- The Nutcracker at The Smith Center
- Shaq’s Fantasy Lab – A Christmas Dream
- Tournament of Kings ‘Twas the Knight – Excalibur Hotel & Casino
New things to do in Las Vegas December 2023
- Fontainebleau Las Vegas opens December 13th
- The Chef Truck by Jon Favreau and Roy Choi debuts on December 16h at Toshiba Plaza near Park MGM
- New displays at the Bellagio Gallery of Fine Art – ICONS of Contemporary Art
- Arte Museum Las Vegas – One of Vegas’ best things to do with kids!
Concerts and shows in Vegas in December
- Usher – Dolby Live at Park MGM (2023 last shows in December)
- Bruno Mars – Dolby Live at Park MGM Las Vegas
- U2 – at Sphere
- Kylie Minogue – The Venetian Las Vegas
- Luke Bryan – Resorts World Las Vegas
- Carrie Underwood – Resorts World Las Vegas
- Derek Hough – Palms Casino Resort
- Kelly Chen – Dolby Live at Park MGM Las Vegas
- Rodney Carrington – The Signature at MGM Grand
Comedy shows Las Vegas in December
- Eddie Griffin – Live And Unleashed!
- Marlon Wayans Live
- Jeff Dunham – Still Not Canceled
- Rich Little
- Jon Lovitz
- Jeff Foxworthy
- John Oliver & Seth Meyers
- Hip-Nosis Starring Justin Tranz
- Jimmy Kimmel’s Comedy Club Las Vegas – various artists
- Impractical Jokers – The Drive Drive Drive Drive Drive Tour
- Carrot Top
- Mad Apple by Cirque du Soleil
- LA Comedy Club – various artists
- Menopause The Musical
- Laugh Factory
- Tape Face
- Atomic Saloon Show
- Las Vegas Live Comedy Club – various artists
- Penn & Teller
- Brad Garrett’s Comedy Club
- Vicki Barbolak
- Marriage Can BeMurder Dinner Show
- Rodney arrington
- Terry Fator: A Very Terry Christmas
- John Caparulo
- Max Jobrani
- Vegas Stand Up & Rock Comedy Club
Las Vegas New Year’s Eve 2023 concerts
- Bruno Mars – Dolby Live at Park MGM Las Vegas
- Post Malone – Fountainbleau Las Vegas
- Kelly Clarkson – Planet Hollywood Las Vegas Resort & Casino
- Luke Bryan – Resorts World Las Vegas
- The Black Eyed Peas – The Venetian Las Vegas
- Christina Aguilera – The Venetian Las Vegas
- Demi Lovato – The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Jackpot – Downtown Las Vegas events
- Forever Midnight LV – Resorts World Las Vegas
- Dita Von Teese – Horseshoe Las Vegas
NYE Vegas nightclub performances
- Lil Jon – at JEWEL Nightclub at Aria Resort & Casino
- Steve Aoki – at OMNIA Nightclub at Caesars Palace
- DJ Pauly D – at Marquee Nightclub at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- Fat Joe – at Hakkasan at MGM Grand
- Kaskade – at Zouk at Resorts World Las Vegas
- O.T. Genasis – at TAO Nightclub at The Venetian Las Vegas
- Diplo – at XS Nightclub at Wynn Las Vegas
- The Chainsmokers – at XS Nightclub at Wynn Las Vegas
- Chris Brown – at Drai’s Beachclub & Nightclub
New Year’s Eve parties in Las Vegas 2023
Vegas’ lounges, shows, and clubs will host special events. You can use the free Discotech app to buy tickets or to add your name to a nightclub guest list.
On The Strip New Year’s Eve parties in Las Vegas 2023
- Chéri Rooftop at the Paris Las Vegas
- The Ice Rink’s Fireworks Viewing Party at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- NYE 2024 featuring The 442’s at The Barbershop at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- The Foundation Room at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- NYE Celebration with DJ Coffin Candy at Eight Lounge at Resorts World Las Vegas
- New Year’s Weekend 2024 at Gatsby’s Cocktail Lounge with DJ Kid Fun at Resorts World Las Vegas
- Minus5 Ice Bar NYE Experience – Locations: The Venetian Las Vegas, The LINQ Las Vegas Hotel, and Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino
- Flight Club Las Vegas at The Venetian Las Vegas
- New Year’s Eve Bridge Bash at The Brooklyn Bridge at New York-New York Hotel & Casino (*not Times Square!)
- Brooklyn Bowl’s Gimme Gimme Disco at The LINQ Promenade
- Party At The Top – The STRAT Hotel, Casino, & Tower
- VIP NYE Extravaganza at Sahara Las Vegas
- NYE Party at The Sugar Factory on Las Vegas Blvd.
- NYE at Shaq’s Fantasy Lab inside The Fashion Show Mall
- New Year’s Eve Extravaganza with Sahara Prade at Easy’s Cocktail Lounge at Aria Resort & Casino
Off The Strip New Year’s Eve parties in Las Vegas 2023
- Area15 MasqueRave
- New Year’s Eve at Illuminarium
- Ghostbar New Year’s Eve – at Palms Casino Resort
- Neon Sky 2024 at Voodoo Lounge – Rio Hotel & Casino
- Legacy Club Sky High Celebration at Circa Resort & Casino
- VIP NYE Extravaganza – Downtown Las Vegas at The Fremont Street Experience
- Altura Presents Planet Perreo at Downtown Las Vegas Events Center
- New Year’s Eve at the Rouge Room at Red Rock Casino
- NYE ’24 The Rose Ball at Durango Resort
- Midnight in Munich at Hofbrauhaus Las Vegas
Sporting events in Las Vegas December 2023
- NBA In-Season Tournament
- Las Vegas Raiders home games at Allegiant Stadium
- UNLV Rebels home games at Allegiant Stadium
- SRS Las Vegas Bowl at Allegiant Stadium – December 23, 2023
- Vegas Golden Knights
- Las Vegas Desert Dogs professional box lacrosse team
- National Finals Rodeo
The Entertainment and Sports Capital of the World
Las Vegas is steadily on its way to adding the word “sports” to its title of “Entertainment Capital of the World!” With championship WNBA and NHL teams, the addition of MLB’s A’s, the Raiders, and pro lacrosse and volleyball teams, Vegas is only an NBA team away from taking on this title!
NBA In-Season Tournament Las Vegas 2023
The 2023 NBA In-Season Tournament is a new multi-stage basketball tournament played during the NBA season. The Tournament’s first edition played out on the fabulous Las Vegas Strip during the 2023–2024 season!
Where is the NBA In-Season Tournament in Las Vegas?
It’s at the T-Mobile Arena. An exceptional venue with an entrance that’s part of the beautiful city-park-style open entertainment area known as Toshiba Place.
Is Vegas cheap in December?
Exploring Las Vegas in the crisp December weather requires a mixture of savvy planning and local insight (Don’t worry – I gotchu!)
Pro tip: Vegas *used to be* cheap in December (except for NYE), but with the NBA taking over the Las Vegas Strip for the In-Season Tournament, you’ll want to book your flights and accommodations early to try and snag those enticing early-bird and off-peak discounts.
Dining options in December are festive and plentiful. Enjoy reservations at restaurants that offer seasonal menus or winter specials. From warm, comforting meals to holiday-inspired cocktails, Las Vegas’s holiday culinary scene will delight your senses without waiting in long lines, especially if you plan ahead.
- Book early – Take advantage of lower prices and quieter accommodations.
- Reserve dining – Enjoy dining at restaurants with holiday menus and specials.
- Smart packing – Prepare for fluctuating day-to-night temperatures with layered outfits.
So, is December a good time to visit Las Vegas?
Are you ready to experience Las Vegas in December? And walk through the glimmering lights and experience the unexpected joy of The City that Never Sleeps – even during its cozy winter season?
December reveals a festive side of this desert oasis, transforming The Strip into a holiday-centric wonderland where the entertainment and delights never cease. And despite the cooler temperatures, December is a uniquely fantastic time to visit Las Vegas.
So, come prepared to bundle up for nighttime outdoor explorations and discover the quiet allure of heated pools under the winter sky.
Because Vegas shines any time of year. Not only through its sparkling decorations. But also through its ability to offer an exciting break from traditional winter scenarios. Here, you get to indulge in a blend of exhilarating shows, tantalizing dining options, and shopping experiences that could rival Santa’s workshop!
And let’s not forget the grand finale: Welcoming the New Year in a city that knows how to throw a hella party!
Las Vegas NYE fireworks: More In ’24
Las Vegas is the greatest city on Earth to ring in the New Year! This year’s Vegas NYE party theme is “More In ’24,” acknowledging how 2023 has been an excellent year for Las Vegas. From the opening of Fountainbleau to the debut of the world’s largest Sphere onto the Las Vegas Grand Prix Formula One Race.
There’ll be a massive fireworks display that starts at midnight. You’ll see the fireworks, also called “America’s Party 2024,” from almost anywhere on Las Vegas Boulevard.
Check out this list of hotels participating in 2023 NYE fireworks on the Las Vegas Strip.
- Caesars Palace
- Treasure Island
- The Venetian
- Planet Hollywood
- MGM Grand
- Resorts World
- The Strat
- Fremont Street – Downtown Las Vegas
Embrace the thought of ending your year on a high note. Plan your Las Vegas December getaway today and witness a side of the city cloaked in winter’s magic, brimming with holiday spirit, and still vibrating with its iconic high energy.
Las Vegas awaits you with memories that will glitter long after the holiday lights dim.
Did you enjoy this list of things to do in Las Vegas in December 2023?
Have you been?
Ready to go?
Comment below and let me know.